1. I congratulate all Muslim faithful on the sighting of the moon of the Holy Month of Ramadan. I pray that Almighty Allah (SWT) considers the coincidence of a global pandemic and the start of the Holy Month, and accepts our fast and prayers like He did for our forefathers.
2. Our Government joins the good people of Ogun State to commiserate with President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR and the family and friends of the late Chief of Staff to the President, Mallam Abba Kyari on the tragic loss of the CoS to COVID-19.
3. The reality that all 31 recorded deaths across the Country brings necessitated the unanimous decision by the Nigeria Governors Forum, NGF to close all interstate borders.
4. In the last one week (17th to 23rd April), Ogun State has recorded a staggering 142% increase in confirmed cases. Currently, we have recorded 29 confirmed cases most of whom are imported, with 6 discharged. This however points to some development that we have increased our daily testing capacity which will curb community transmission, even as we neighbour Lagos, the Nation’s epicentre of the pandemic.
5. Going forward, we have taken the proactive steps below:
(a) Installation of a State-fully funded Molecular Laboratory at the OOUTH, Sagamu, which has been applauded both by the NCDC and the WHO, who have been at the forefront of this global contagion, as we have set up testing booths in border communities.
(b) Setting up of Isolation and Treatment Centres with dedicated ICUs (OOUTH and Ikenne Remo), as well as the completion of 18-bed high dependency and ICU , while we renovate the 75-bed Infectious Disease Hospital in Abeokuta.
6. There will be relaxation windows during the next week of lockdown on Monday, 27th April, 2020, Wednesday, 29th and Friday, 1st May. However, we will begin to enforce the compulsory use of face masks (factory- or locally made) on the last window, Friday, 1st May, 2020.
7. As we move into the next phase of our relief package distribution, we will distribute face masks alongside food and household items to 80,000 vulnerable households, with a cumulative 200,000.
8. I appreciate the cooperation and support we have received from everyone, including our frontline health workers (whose allowances are currently being reviewed upward), the State COVID-19 Task Force, all Principal Officials of our Government, Hon. Commissioners (Health, Special Duties, Environment and others), the private sector, and the general public.
- #COVID19 #BuildingOurFutureTogether